"Communication is the key for any global business." - Anita Roddick
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
The resources below will help you teach Business English. Every Friday join me for a free 30 minute webinar at 4pmET/9pmUK. Join the American TESOL web room as a GUEST here, Americantesol.adobeconnect.com/terrell. Find more info here.
- Check out my article on ESL Library, 9 Ways to Use Snapchat to Teach Language Learners.
- Snapchat features- Photo chat, video chat, group chat, filters, lenses, draw, add text, add stickers, stories, our story, custom stories, discover, Snap Map, subscribe to publications, and friend entrepreneurs and businesses.
- Why Snapchat is great to teach Business English? Snapchat enhances all the 4 skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) by exposing language learners to byte-sized, authentic English in real business settings! Additionally, language learners get to study business culture in real time, learn from entrepreneurs, get the inside scoop on news and trends, understand the role of personal branding, and connect with companies.
- Read this article to discover how companies and universities use Snapchat to recruit and hire.
- Recommended publications for Business English students to subscribe to are The Economist, Wired, Mashable, WSJ, The New York Times, Vox, The Washington Post, and CNN. Students can download the Snaps of these publications and annotate them.
- One topic for exploration is comparing how brands market themselves. Check out this article with several examples, such as the @Everlane Clothing Company which answers questions from consumers and records walkthroughs of their factories.
- Compare the culture and environments of various companies around the world!
- Friend entrepreneurs. Check out these recommendations who share valuable tips and share snaps from notable business conferences and events worldwide!
- Students can compare and contrast how entrepreneurs use Snapchat to brand themselves.
- Get students to save one valuable tip from an entrepreneur once a week.
- Get students to keep a journal of the downloaded Snaps of new business phrases and vocabulary they come across in Snaps.
- Get students to study how companies advertise on Snapchat and design their own Snapchat ads.
- Lesson Plans and Curriculum
- Edugains Financial Literacy curriculum, videos, lesson plans and more for children to adults
- Business and Professional Writing Course Syllabus with many document ideas, reading links, and more!
- Utah’s Business Curriculum with several lesson plans, including types of businesses and designing web pages for businesses.
- General Business has tons of lesson plans from balancing a checkbook to ethics.
- 14 Lesson Plans to Teach Financial Literacy
- Games that teach financial literacy
- Good Calculators- A collection of online calculators for use in everyday domestic and commercial use!
- Shark Tank Projects
- Create a business plan!
- Create marketing campaigns for local businesses with Canva.
- Business English Podcast
- Students create infographics! Find resources here.
- Google Forms, Slides, Docs, and Spreadsheets for data collection, charts, graphs, accounting, presentations, group projects, and more!