iPad Survival Tips and Resources
“… young people are reading and writing more than I ever did at their age, but they are doing it using their computers and mobile phones … The mobile is central, and will become even more so as time goes by.” - David Crystal
I believe mobile devices transform learning when integrated effectively. Our students have powerful devices that they can carry in their pockets. With their devices students can capture images, make videos, record audio, access the Internet, and so much more! These tools will work without Internet access. When we download apps and have Internet access, our learners have endless opportunities to learn by creating, exploring, researching, and playing. In my book, Learning to Go, I provide ideas, lesson plans, rubrics, and mobile ready handouts to accomplish this.
If you like these ideas, take one of my courses or check out my books. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
One part of my job is traveling worldwide and helping teachers integrate technology and mobile learning effectively even if all they have available are the devices students bring in. If your school is interested in having me work with your teachers and students, contact me at ShellyTerrell@gmail.com. Below is a video of my recent training in Croatia.
My Mobile Learning Posts/ Presentations
- Mingle Activities-students work with a partner for about a minute then switch partners
- Mission: In 60 seconds demonstrate your favorite app!
- Draw your favorite (Lesson from Learning to Go)
- Tip! Invest in styluses!
- Draw my monster http://Educreations.com/lesson/view/big-green-monster/804064/
- Make a movie, tv commercial, book trailer, or broadcast the news!
- Try these video creators and editors- Splice, Touch Cast, Talking Ben & Tom News iOS & Android App, iMovie, Telestory, Gabsee, Puppet Pals 2 HD, Shadow Puppet, Toontastic 3D, Plotagon, WeVideo, Chatterpix and Magisto
- Role Plays- Characters in a book or dialogues between historical ﬁgures
- Create role play cards! Learnenglish.de/Teachers/roleplays.html
- Piiig Walkie Talkie for Kids iOS App- Talk in real-time over the same Wi-Fi network • Voice distortion • Option to chat with built-in characters • Send voice messages via email • NO third party advertising • NO in-app purchases
- Play games!
- Tiny Tap, Kahoot, AR Soccer, Space Team
- Code with an iPad! Code Spark Academy, Tynker, Kodable, Hopscotch, Run Marco, Cargo-Bot, Lightbot: Code Hour
- Jigsaw- What’s the punchline? Learning to Go Activity
- Think, Pair, Share • Pairs create a concept map/sketchnote • Present to another pair & add to the concept map/sketchnote
- Create collaborative mind maps with http://Popplet.com
- Learning to Go: Lesson Ideas for Teaching with Mobile Devices, Cell Phones, and BYOT by Shelly Sanchez Terrell
- Mobile Education – Lessons from 35 Education Experts on Improving Learning with Mobile Technology– my contribution is on page 23.
- Mobile Learning Reflections by Jackie Gerstein
- Hot Apps for HOTS
- Mobile Learning Guide Pt 1: Designing it Right by Kineo
- Beginner’s Guide to the iPhone, iPod, and iPad in Education by Slide2Learn
- New technologies, new pedagogies: Mobile learning in higher education
- The Universal Design of Apple Mobile Devices
- Kathy Schrock’s Guide to iPads in the Classroom
- Mobile Learning: A Quick Start Guide by Upside Learning
My Mobile Learning Posts/ Presentations
- Once Upon a Time: Clickable Infographic of 20 Reading Activities on Mobile Devices & Free IOS and Android Apps
- Notetaking and Bookmarking with Mobile Devices
- Mobile Research Apps
- QR Activities
- Emoji Activities
- Epic Back to School Selfie Adventure
- Go on an Epic Selfie Adventure
- Digital Icebreakers
- Audio Projects
- Video Projects
- Apps for Student Projects
- Active Learning with Mobile Devices
- Vlog Learning with Vine and Instagram
- Mobile Learning SlideShare Presentations
- Free Webinar Video Training from American TESOL
- 20+ Fun Free Apps that Promote Student Centered Learning & Literacy
- Magical Moments in Mobile Learning: 20+ Tips & Resources
- 45+ Recommended Educational Apps
- 20+ Apps to Support the Digital Storytelling Process
- 30+ Apps for Celebrating December Holidays
- Why Mobile Learning in Schools Makes Cents
- Sharing Stories: Motivating Language Learners with Mobile Devices
- 10+ Ideas for Using Cell Phones with Young Learners
- Texting and Teachers Experimenting with Technology: 10 Resources
- Mobile Motivation: 17 Digital Storytelling & Literacy Apps/Resources for Kids
- 8 Apps to Prepare You for Your Next Presentation/ Webmeeting
- 14 Apps That Should Accompany You to the Next Conference
- 30+ Holiday Apps for Creativity & Learning
- 18 Educational Apps for Halloween