Teaching Pronunciation to Children
“Do you know what a foreign accent is? It's a sign of bravery.” - Amy Chua, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
Phonetic awareness is important for our young English language learners. They need to recognize and sound out phonemes, because these are the building blocks of English. This will help improve their reading, writing, and spelling in English. Children learn best if they are engaged and enjoy the learning. Children can enjoy improving their pronunciation by singing songs, chanting, playing games, and using websites and apps.
Tips and Resources
- Linguistics for Teachers provides background knowledge about teaching phonology.
- Make a Teach has several free pronunciation posters for children.
- Boggles World ESL has several activities, handouts, games, flashcards, and more!
- Starfall is one of the best sites with games, stories, songs, and activities for children to practice pronunciation.
- Dream English is a site with videos, songs, touch and say audio lesson mp3s, matching worksheets, and flashcards free to download.
- ABC Fast Phonics has phonics tutorials and cartoons for children.
- Neo K12 has several songs, games, and quizzes.
- Reading Bear is a free site with videos, quizzes, and reviews for children to learn phonics.
- Phonics Studio is a free iOS app that has 2500 visual flashcards with sounds.
- English Raven, Jason Renshaw, offers free downloads of phonics starter kits for kids.
- Phonics with Phonzy Android/iOS App
- Speech Flipbook iOS App
- Phonics Studio iOS App
- English learning for children with Shine On Megabyte iOS App
- Articulation Station iOS App
- Gameskidsplay.net/games/ClappingRythmsGames/ index.htm