Teaching with Word Clouds: Activities, Web Tools & Apps
“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.” - Maya Angelo
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
Word clouds highlight the vocabulary in texts, speeches, songs, articles, stories, and other writings. Create word clouds with free web tools and apps to engage students and develop literacy skills. You can use the ~ to group words and create phrases. Make key vocabulary, concepts, names, and themes larger by repeating them. Most of the tools allow the user to choose font type, font colors, and the shape of the word cloud. Below, discover activities and web tools and apps to create word clouds. Get your students to create their own word clouds to express themselves.
Word Cloud Creators
- Tagxedo– Create word clouds and choose the shape and background color of the word cloud.
- Tagul– Create word clouds that fit a shape or choose different fonts and colors. An added benefit is each word is a clickable link that connects to a website you can specify.
- By default, Tagul will have the clickable links lead to sales search site you want to specify the website to link words. In order to customize the links to go to a specific blog or website, go to the Core Options tab and replace the site search link with the chosen website url and at the end add /$tag. For my blog the link I used was http://teacherrebootcamp.com/?s=$tag.
- You can also customize the link of each word to whatever website you choose by clicking the API mode box in the Core Options category and playing with the code.
- Check out my post on using Tagul to create an interactive vocabulary search on education sites for research.
- Wordle– An easy and quick way to create word clouds online. Choose the font colors and click random to see different shapes and colors.
- Word Mosaic– Chose a shape or symbol to add words to in a word cloud form.
- The heart shaped word cloud tool works similar to Word Mosaic where students can add any symbol or word to a heart shaped word cloud.
- ABCya– Web tool and free iPad app. Word cloud creator for children. Choose different fonts and font colors. Edit the text, because this tool catches all common words and symbols. Use Vocab Grabber to capture the most common words in a text and paste them in ABCya.
- Vocab Grabber– Paste in text from any article and a word cloud vocabulary list is generated. Click on the word to see the visual thesaurus of similar words.
- WorditOut– Another simple tool for creating colorful word clouds online.
- Word Salad- Free iOS and Android app to create word clouds.
- Word Cam– Free Android app to transform your photos into word clouds.
- Image Chef has a free iOS and Android app to create a word mosaic.
- Photo WordArt- Free iOS and iPad app to create word clouds on photos.
- Wordables- Free iOS app to guess 200 word clouds.
Word Cloud Activities
Use word clouds to get students to:
- Make inferences about a topic before reading or exploring the unit or chapter.
- Guess the news story or current event from a word cloud of an article.
- Guess the lyrics- Sporcle has an online quiz where students guess a popular song from a word cloud of lyrics. Also try these Tagxedo word clouds of lyrics.
- Create About Me word clouds with character traits, likes, and favorites.
- Describe their hobbies.
- Research an animal and add facts they’ve discovered.
- Create word clouds describing a famous person to preface a presentation or paper. It is a nice way to summarize their research with key points.
- Analyze word clouds of presidential debates and speeches
- Create poetry in word clouds. Shape poems would be an ideal activity.
- Share goals & resolutions.
- Create a story with any of the words from a word cloud.
- Determine collocations, phrasal verbs, or learn new vocabulary. Check out this post with many more word cloud activities for language learners.
- Make up raps in pairs using at least 5 vocabulary words in the word cloud.
Find the tools listed above and many more resources in the bookmarks below.