Global Citizenship and Intercultural Exchanges
“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”- Mother Teresa
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
Our students, who are growing up in a connected world, must learn how to communicate and collaborate effectively with individuals around the globe to solve world issues. More than ever we need global citizens who help make the world a better place. This is why one of the learning missions in my new book, Hacking Digital Learning Strategies: 10 Ways to Launch EdTech Missions in Your Classroom is to get students to take part in an intercultural exchange. Below, find a slide presentation and bookmarks for places to connect with classes worldwide and begin your intercultural exchange.
Tips and Resources
- Teach global citizenship!
- UNESCO has several resources for teachers.
- The World’s Largest Lesson introduces the Sustainable Development Goals to children and young people everywhere and unites them in action.
- Participate in intercultural exchanges and global projects. Find classes to connect with on Epals, Skolinks, PenPalSchools, and eTwinning.net.
- Learn about global class projects and connect with teachers at the free online Global Education Conference.
- Connect with teachers and discover more resources with these hashtags- #GlobalEd, #GlobalClassroom, #ELTChat, #Langchat, and #ISTEGlobalPLN.
- Skype, Hangout, or use Appear.in to video conference with classes worldwide!
- Try Mystery Skypes or Mystery Hangouts. Find student jobs for these here.
- Quadblogging is a way to blog with classes worldwide.
- The Global Classroom Project has several resources and ideas for global projects.
- The following are free web tools to help you schedule your planning sessions and meetings:
- Doodle (Web/iOS/Android)- Create polls with suggested meeting times and dates and invite participants to select their preferences. Participants don’t need the app or an account to select their preferences. Syncs with your calendar.
- Time and Date (Web/iOS/Android)- Several tools to schedule meetings, such as a World Clock with the current time in each country, online calendars for countries worldwide, a meeting planner, a countdown clock, and more.
- World Time Buddy (Web/iOS/Android)- Visual world clock, easy time zone converter and meeting scheduler.