Technology for Children
“For in every adult there dwells the child that was, and in every child there lies the adult that will be.” - John Connolly, The Book of Lost Things
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
I love teaching children. I have been blessed to teach 2 to 12 year-old students in Germany, Croatia, and the US. Currently, I am the Computer and Technology Teacher for over 450 students (1st to 5th grades) at a STEM Charter School in Texas. The following websites I have personally used with my young learners. All have a free version and many are registration free and ad free. Remember to ask parent permission and have a Digital Use Policy signed by parents and students when integrating technology.
Free Creativity and Design Websites
Some Slide Presentations
- The Draw and Tell iOS app is perfect for toddlers and children to mock up their inventions. They can use the graphing paper feature and add stickers or draw on it. Students also get to record themselves describing their inventions. Discover more ideas about using this app in the Teach Outside the Box blog.
- Make Beliefs Comix to create comics
- TinyTap is a wonderful iOS app for even preschool children to create their own games and quizzes. You can click the website to play vocabulary games designed by others.
- ZimmerTwins- Animate a movie; no registration required.
- ABCYA animator to create a movie or gif. No registration required.
- Sketch.io is to create a digital poster with gifs and paint tools. No registration required.
- Voki is a website for creating talking avatars. The free version only provides limited options.
- Bubbl.us for colorful concept maps. No registration required.
- Find typing tips for children in this post I wrote for ESL Library.
- Typetastic - free typing games and no registration is required.
- Keyboard Climber 1 and Keyboard Climber 2
- Dance Mat Typing- advertisement free.
- Typing Town- create a town by typing words.
- Mouse Practice
- Alphabetimals is one of the best websites and apps (iOS, Android) for children to have fun learning the alphabet.
- Learn English Kids
- Create a Storybook Cover
- Storyline Online
- Picture Dictionary
- Buncee to create digital stories, digital posters, and more! COPPA Compliant! Students enter codes.
- Find my suggestions for using Buncee with young learners here.
- I'm a writer for Sprout English for Young Learners. Check out my articles for apps, web tools, and lesson ideas.
- Survival Tips for Teaching Kids English: 30 Tips & Resources
- Several Young Learners Posts from Various Teachers! 20+
- Let’s Play! 20+ Sites for YLs
- Engaging Learners through Digital Storytelling: 40+ Resources & Tips
- 10+ Getting to Know You Activities for Kids
- Mobile Learning E-Book: 50+ Effective Tips & Resources
- Magical Moments in Mobile Learning: 20+ Tips & Resources
- 20+ Fun Free Apps that Promote Student Centered Learning & Literacy
- 10+ Ideas for Using Cell Phones with Young Learners
- 30+ Apps for Creativity & Learning
- Mobile Motivation: 17 Digital Storytelling & Literacy Apps/Resources for Kids
- Getting Children Involved with Edtech
- Devil’s Advocate: Young Learners and Technology– In this post, Chia Suan Chong debates with me the benefits of using technology with young learners. She takes a critical stance in order to talk about very important issues related to health and creativity.
- E-Course Archives: English for Young Learners
- Wiki: Technology for Kids
- Wiki: Digital Storytelling with Young Learners
- Wiki: English StoryTime Lessons
Some Slide Presentations