Continuous Learning During Breaks
"The best teachers are those who pass on their zeal and enthusiasm as a legacy to their students." - Robert John Meehan
💡Discover more ways to design engaging distance learning experiences by taking my new accredited graduate course, Online Learning: Best Practices to Leverage the Power of Distance Learning.
Learning doesn't have to stop just because students are out of school. I have included my recent presentation slides and resources below to help you discover ways to inspire students and their families to experiment, code, make, build, read, and explore during their breaks. Click the headings in the slide presentation below to visit the resources. This is the Google Form to fill out if you want the resources from the presentation. Click the headings in the slide presentation to go to that resource.
Tips and Resources
- Student virtual check-ins Teacherrebootcamp.com/virtualcheckins
- ✋🏾 Five Finger Student Check-in- 5 🤩- I feel fantastic 4 😃- I feel happy 3 🙂- I feel okay 2 🙁- I feel unfocused 1 🤢- I feel bad
- Make wellness and well-being a priority- ✔ Create your Zen ✔ Be active ✔ Take breaks ✔ Get some fresh air ✔ Model well-being for your students
- Establish routines and schedules
- Feel free to copy and edit this schedule
- Tip! Edit your notiﬁcations
- Give meaningful choices
- Make it visually engaging
- Keep it short and simple
- Less is more
- Take, remix, copy and share!
- Tips for using one of the choice menu templates:
- Add a turn in link.
- Headings on the online classroom should match the tasks.
- Duration is a week or more. Give students time to complete the tasks. Ideally, you post the menu on Monday and students turn in Friday or the following Monday.
- Student voice
- Create clear and concise instructions
- Provide visual guides and tutorials
- Game it up! Check out ShellyTerrell.com/games
- Tynker, Prodigy, MinecraftEdu, Code.org, Kahoot, Pokémon Go, Teach Your Monster to Read, and Khan Academy Kids
- Motivate with learning missions and badges! Check out my book, Hacking Digital Learning Strategies with Edtech Missions.
- Geocaching.com and iOS/Android App Have fun and be bold!